University Canada West is committed to the principle of employment equality. Recently acquired by Global University Systems (GUS), a European leader in private sector Higher Education, the University offers Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce and Masters in Business Administration degrees both face-to-face in our downtown Vancouver premises and on-line. Our degrees follow respected Canadian traditions and standards and are approved and regulated by the Ministry of Advanced Education of the Province of British Columbia.
We are a teaching-intensive university, so evidence of teaching excellence is a definite asset. We support research by our faculty, insofar as it supports great teaching and intellectual development. We require all faculty to be active scholars but we also offer an escape from the “publish or perish” lifestyle forced on faculty at many universities. Applicants for faculty positions should have a related doctoral degree, or at minimum a Master’s degree, with relevant post-secondary teaching and work experience.
We recognize that the spirit and energy of our support staff are key contributors to our rich learning community. Full-time and contract staff members work in a positive work environment with strong support from all of our academic faculties and administrative departments.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a covering letter, curriculum vitae including evidence of teaching experience and scholarly accomplishments and the names of three referees to:
University Canada West
626 West Pender Street, Suite 100,
Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 1V9, Canada.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. University Canada West is committed to the principle of employment equity.
Current Positions Available
President & Vice-Chancellor
Full time Position
Date posted: Oct 23, 2018
We are searching for an inspirational and motivational President and Vice Chancellor for UCW. In this position, it will be your job to lead the university in meeting its strategic goals and to raise the profile of the university around the world. The President maintains strong relationships with the British Columbia Degree Quality Assurance Board (DQAB) and the Ministry of Advanced Education and is responsible for ensuring that the university continues to achieve high standards of program quality and delivers an exceptional student experience. The President works closely with the Board of Governors and Directors to ensure that the university meets its financial, operational and strategic goals.
The ideal candidate brings an understanding of the BC post-secondary education environment, the ability to articulate a clear vision and the ability to inspire and work cooperatively with students, faculty, staff and external stakeholders. The incumbent will maintain high standards of ethics, discretion, fairness and consistency, a professional attitude, and a commitment to quality of service to our students.
A Doctorate degree is required as well as recognized achievements in teaching, research and scholarly activities. Administrative experience, including budget management and resource allocation, in a university setting is also required. Demonstrated success in developing and maintaining community, national and international relations is desired.
About University Canada West
University Canada West (UCW) is a premier education destination situated in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
We are a forward-thinking and innovative institution and offer a modern education to prepare today’s students for the careers of tomorrow. As one of BC’s fastest growing universities, we attract students from Canada and around the world and welcome diversity among staff and faculty.
University Canada West is a subsidiary of Global University Systems, which is based in the Netherlands.
If you believe you can make a difference to the lives of our students and lead the university in achieving its goals, expressions of interest in the role may be sent to the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Full time Position
Date posted: Jan 10, 2019
The work of the Registrar is connected with that of the domestic and international enrolment teams, the academic enterprise and with students directly. As such, this position is critical to the success of this private post secondary entity.
The Registrar is a member of UCW’s management team and Academic Council.
The Registrar develops and implements plans, policies, processes and systems supporting the efficient and effective acceptance, admission and registration of students; maintains accurate student records including grades and transcripts; finalizes classroom schedules; directs graduation audits and elements of convocation, and undertakes other related functions. The Registrar leads and measures Registrar Office (RO) activities and closely collaborates with other University and Campus Support Centre divisions in advancing the University and enhancing student experience.
Under general supervision, the Registrar ensures that RO operating standards are met, legislation is adhered to, and services are continuously improved.
Work spans the continuum of domestic and international students, on-line and in-class. The Registrar must work at both strategic and tactical levels to further develop a student-focused service that is fast-paced and well respected.
- Organized, diligent approach to process and documentation
- Accuracy, consistency and fairness
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- High standards of behaviour, professional attitude and commitment to quality service
- Constructive and collaborative approach with students, faculty, and staff and external stakeholders
- Ability to plan and execute
- Adaptability and change management skills
Education and Experience:
- Post graduate degree
- 5 years of recent, related experience including direct involvement with student records, transfer credit, PLAR, international students, and international credential evaluation
- Experience using comprehensive student information systems and manual RO processes
- Experience repatriating functions that are appropriately housed in the Registrar’s Office
- Has modeled exemplary customer service behaviours and led customer-focused teams
- Multi-campus experience preferred
- Experience in RO design and re-engineering
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
CFO GUS Canada
Full time Position
Date posted: Feb 28, 2019
The purpose of this role is to oversee financial functions for the Global University Systems Brands in Canada. Reporting to the GUS Finance Director and, as required, providing advice to the CEO, GUS Canada, the LearningWise Board of Directors and Governors and to the Global University Systems Group Finance Director.
- Drive the financial planning of the Brands by analyzing its performance and risks.
- Participate and contribute to the development of a strategic plan for GUS Canada.
- Lead the development and maintenance of a 3 to 5 year budget forecast in support of the GUS Canada operations and strategic plan.
- Retain constant awareness of the GUS Canada financial position and act to prevent problems.
- Troubleshoot existing systems and implement improvements in internal financial controls and compliance proactively identifying and resolving any issues as they arise.
- Set up and oversee improvements to the GUS Canada finance IT system.
- Oversee all audit and internal control operations for GUS Canada.
- Securing financing and the ability to work with debt and capital markets.
- Assist in managing relationships with partners and investors.
- Prepare timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Conduct analysis to make forecasts and report to upper executives.
- Work with institutional leadership to prepare financial reporting and security calculation for government regulators.
- Coordinate and work with consultants, management accountants, internal auditors etcetera to satisfy University, Group, and governmental/regulatory requirements.
- Attendance at meetings of the GUS Canada Board Meeting to provide information and support as required.
- Ensure adherence to financial laws and guidelines.
- Set up and develop central finance function for Canada operations (3 schools in different locations). Emphasis on reporting and budgeting.
To be successful in the CFO GUS Canada Position, the individual must be committed to developing, maintaining and demonstrating the following:
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to work in conflict situations, manage difficult people, and deal with ambiguity.
- A team-oriented approach and positive attitude.
- Effective problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with and understand the needs of a diverse range of stakeholders including governance boards and the ownership group.
- A flexible approach to working and the ability to cope with frequently changing environments.
- Demonstrable track record in managing a conflicting workload, often delivering results to tight deadlines.
- Superior listening, critical thinking, and reading comprehension skills.
- Persuasive presentation skills and ability to field tough questions.
- Ability to liaise with key stakeholders.
- Due Diligence and Audit experience.
- Experience with service, B2C, (ideally education) industry.
- Proven experience of setting up new teams.
- Excellent knowledge of Canadian GAAP, tax legislation, legal requirements.
- Good connections and wide professional circle with banks, accountants, etc.
- Managerial experience at a large accounting firm, preferably with a Big 4 firm, would be an asset.
- Qualified Accountant (CA, CGA, CMA, CPA).
- At least 10 years' experience in Finance and/or Accounting, including at least 3 years after Big 4.
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus
- Solid knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (e.g. SAP).
- Able to analyze data and present financial information in a clear manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Please apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media Specialist
Full time Position
Date posted: Mar 01, 2019
The primary purpose of the Social Media Specialist position is to spearhead the university’s social media presence with a heavy emphasis on creating engaging video content.
Under general supervision, the Social Media Specialist will focus on creating video and other engaging content for the university’s social media channels. They will assume responsibility for and further develop UCW’s social media channels with video content as their primary focus. The Social Media Specialist will engage with our social media audiences by maintaining a strong online presence, while maintain UCW’s brand standards. The Social Media Specialist will assist with other communications department duties as assigned by the Communications Manager.
The Social Media Specialist will at various times be responsible for the following as well as other related duties as assigned to support the business objectives and purpose of the company:
- Maintaining, updating and growing UCW’s social media channels.
- Generate ideas and regularly create video content for our website and social media channels.
- Edit video using Premiere Pro, the Adobe Creative Suite and other video editing tools.
- Know the fundamentals of shooting video including best practices for lighting and sound.
- As part of a team, design social media posts to create a buzz online around our brand.
- Develop and maintain a social media calendar, create social media campaigns and effectively engage with the online community and the existing student body.
- Be on top of trends in social media and leverage those trends to engage with our audience.
- Create monthly reports that include content performance and audience behaviors.
- Leverage monitoring tools to analyze performance of campaigns and adapt strategies to improve efficiencies and effectiveness of campaigns accordingly.
- Keep on top of comments and trends happening on UCW’s social media accounts.
- Be able to write fun, engaging video scripts.
- Be skilled with still photography and able to write a press-release, blog post or stories and know the difference in tone and message.
- Other related duties as assigned to support the business objectives and purpose of the University.
To be successful in the Social Media Specialist position, individuals must be committed to developing, maintaining and demonstrating the following:
- Excellent working knowledge of various social media channels, engagement opportunities and have plans for growth.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects at once and complete by stated deadlines.
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere Pro.
- Proficiency with other video editing software and processes.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Good judgment and ability to prioritize assignments.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a calm focus during hectic periods.
- General understanding of the programs and services provided by the University.
- Ability to exhibit a professional attitude and image with a commitment to quality service.
Education and Experience:
- Diploma or degree in communications, video production or journalism.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com