Date posted: Feb 28, 2019
The purpose of this role is to oversee financial functions for the Global University Systems Brands in Canada. Reporting to the GUS Finance Director and, as required, providing advice to the CEO, GUS Canada, the LearningWise Board of Directors and Governors and to the Global University Systems Group Finance Director.
- Drive the financial planning of the Brands by analyzing its performance and risks.
- Participate and contribute to the development of a strategic plan for GUS Canada.
- Lead the development and maintenance of a 3 to 5 year budget forecast in support of the GUS Canada operations and strategic plan.
- Retain constant awareness of the GUS Canada financial position and act to prevent problems.
- Troubleshoot existing systems and implement improvements in internal financial controls and compliance proactively identifying and resolving any issues as they arise.
- Set up and oversee improvements to the GUS Canada finance IT system.
- Oversee all audit and internal control operations for GUS Canada.
- Securing financing and the ability to work with debt and capital markets.
- Assist in managing relationships with partners and investors.
- Prepare timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Conduct analysis to make forecasts and report to upper executives.
- Work with institutional leadership to prepare financial reporting and security calculation for government regulators.
- Coordinate and work with consultants, management accountants, internal auditors etcetera to satisfy University, Group, and governmental/regulatory requirements.
- Attendance at meetings of the GUS Canada Board Meeting to provide information and support as required.
- Ensure adherence to financial laws and guidelines.
- Set up and develop central finance function for Canada operations (3 schools in different locations). Emphasis on reporting and budgeting.
To be successful in the CFO GUS Canada Position, the individual must be committed to developing, maintaining and demonstrating the following:
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to work in conflict situations, manage difficult people, and deal with ambiguity.
- A team-oriented approach and positive attitude.
- Effective problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with and understand the needs of a diverse range of stakeholders including governance boards and the ownership group.
- A flexible approach to working and the ability to cope with frequently changing environments.
- Demonstrable track record in managing a conflicting workload, often delivering results to tight deadlines.
- Superior listening, critical thinking, and reading comprehension skills.
- Persuasive presentation skills and ability to field tough questions.
- Ability to liaise with key stakeholders.
- Due Diligence and Audit experience.
- Experience with service, B2C, (ideally education) industry.
- Proven experience of setting up new teams.
- Excellent knowledge of Canadian GAAP, tax legislation, legal requirements.
- Good connections and wide professional circle with banks, accountants, etc.
- Managerial experience at a large accounting firm, preferably with a Big 4 firm, would be an asset.
- Qualified Accountant (CA, CGA, CMA, CPA).
- At least 10 years' experience in Finance and/or Accounting, including at least 3 years after Big 4.
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance or relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus
- Solid knowledge of financial analysis and forecasting.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (e.g. SAP).
- Able to analyze data and present financial information in a clear manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Please apply to: email@example.com