Date posted: Feb 12, 2020
Reporting through the Operations line, and working closely with the Academic, Student Services, Registrarial, and Recruitment teams, the Director of Marketing and Communications leads our domestic and international marketing, communication, engagement and branding vision. The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the strategic development, planning, implementation and management of the University’s marketing strategies, programs, processes, and campaigns, with the objective of enhancing and promoting the University’s brand awareness and reputation. This position is a leadership role and will direct the efforts of the marketing and communications staff and coordinate at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of the University.
The Director, Marketing and Communications is responsible for the following, as well as other related duties as assigned to support the business objectives and purpose of the University:
- Executes domestic and international, short and long-term marketing and branding plans, and monitors and evaluates performance against the established goals and vision.
- Implements the marketing and branding budget for all resources, purchases and staffing, ensuring adherence to targets, and moving initiatives forward.
- Works collaboratively with cross-functional teams within the university and across the corporate group to ensure the successful integration and execution of the University’s brand strategy.
- Coordinates and collaborates with the Recruitment team to support their efforts in attracting prospective students domestically and internationally and to ensure consistency in messaging and brand standards
- Implements style guidelines and establishes messaging and product standards to strengthen the value and performance of the University’s brand
- Implements and monitors integrated online/offline marketing including search engine optimization, search engine marketing, advertising (e.g. Google AdWords), public relations, and other campaigns to raise the profile of the university and to achieve its marketing and branding goals.
- Creates reports on marketing and branding metrics. Analyzes and interprets the results of marketing campaign performance. Makes data-based decisions to drive new and creative brand and marketing campaigns.
- Works with GUS on the strategic and creative design, and content of the University’s marketing mediums, including the website, social media platforms, and print and electronic materials (logo, letterhead, brochures, videos etc.). Ensures all marketing and branding content are up-to-date and meets the professional standards and guidelines of the University.
- Conducts market and internal research to determine target audiences, support new academic program applications, and identify emerging media and technologies.
- Creates postings and secures testimonials and interviews from students and alumni to help tell the University’s stories. Creates a consistent, unified message in order articulate and enhance the University’s image and brand to all stakeholders.
- Engages with followers/fans on social media channels - creating conversations, answering questions, following up on complaints etc. and generates new followers/fans
- Plans and oversees the design, production and purchase of all marketing and branding products.
- Undertakes regular environmental scans, and maintains and enhances knowledge of marketing trends, developments and best practices. Advises the senior leadership team of new marketing initiatives and changing post-secondary approaches.
- Identifies and develops vendor relations to optimize costs and improve branding opportunities.
- Collaborate with GUS to create and executes a media relations plan.
- Creates crisis communications strategies as part of the university’s emergency management plan.
- Communicates the University’s position and policies on a variety of issues to specific media and to various University stakeholders which includes serving as the University spokesperson with the media as appropriate.
- Manages the recruitment, performance and development of marketing staff.
- Other related duties to business objectives and the public image of the University.
To be successful in the Director, Marketing and Communications position, an individual must be committed to developing, maintaining and demonstrating the following:
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in Business Administration, Marketing, Communications or similar discipline.
- A minimum of 8 years’ of progressively responsible experience in marketing and brand management.
- A working understanding of the private post-secondary environment.
- A commitment to and history of professional development.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing and branding activities.
- Proven ability in managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, and supervising staff.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications, website management, and social media content creation and management.
- Ability to compile and analyze performance data in order to develop metrics which support decision-making for resource allocation and marketing campaigns.
- Significant experience in media relations, crisis/issue/conflict and contingency management
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in MS Office applications, Google AdWords and Google Analytics.
- Excellent judgment, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly while managing numerous projects simultaneously.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, including group presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability and commitment to work variable and extended hours to complete key projects.
- Proven ability to manage stress and meet deadline pressures in a fluid environment.