Date posted: Oct 11, 2018
The University Canada West Library welcomes applications for a liaison librarian, based at the University’s campus in downtown Vancouver. If you are a professional librarian with a strong record of collaboration and excellent public service, we look forward to hearing from you!
About University Canada West
UCW is small, private institution, in downtown Vancouver, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees (Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Arts in Business Communication and Master of Business Administration and Associate of Arts), both online and on campus. The University is currently growing, as it is increasing intakes from both international and domestic markets, and looking to establish additional degrees, such as Master-level degrees – with a primary focus on business. The academic year has four intakes: at the beginning of January, April, July and October (each term is 12 weeks in length).
About UCW Library
The Library reflects the focus of the University. We have a small print collection and a sizeable – and growing – electronic collection, with a particular focus on resources relevant for contemporary business. The Library reviews current databases and other resources and considers new and additional resources on an ongoing basis. We acquire resources both through direct negotiation with the vendors, as well through consortia agreements (such as BC ELN). We collaborate extensively with libraries and
librarians from the public post-secondary institutions and private academic sector and always look to expand our network of connections.
About the role
In this position, the succesful candidate will act as a liaison between the faculty and students and the Library. There are two primary duties for the liaison librarian:
1. Outreach: engage the students and the faculty, uncovering needs that the Library has not yet met, obtaining feedback and suggestions for improvement of the Library’s services and collections and promoting the Library to these groups.
- Examples: meeting with faculty to establish learning outcomes for a library workshop; designing and implementing a marketing plan for promoting the use of a particular library service.
2. Instruction: teach and assist students and faculty in using the Library collections (print and electronic) and services, using appropriate instructional tools: classes and workshops, online/printed guides or individual consultations (in person or via AskAway).
- Examples: developing an online tutorial for distance students on the use of Library’s discovery layer; designing and delivering an in-class workshop teaching students how to format their papers according to the APA Manual of Style.
In addition, the liaison librarian will play an essential role in ensuring that the operations in the library are running smoothly:
- Collaborates with the other librarians to enhance the library’s services.
- In collaboration with the Library Director and the other liaison librarian, develops, manages and assesses information resources to address the teaching needs of the faculty and the learning needs of the students.
- Helps circulate and manage the Library’s print collection, including course reserve materials and library’s equipment.
- Assists students with research and reference services, including AskAway.
MLIS from an ALA accredited institution required; academic library experience strongly preferred.
- Strong ability to create effective working relationships with library users at all levels.
- Direct experience planning and teaching library classes/workshops.
- Experience using/teaching a wide variety of business databases and resources; this experience could have been acquired through specialized degrees, direct working experience or specialized professional development activities.
- Past experience working with international students.
- Outstanding oral/written communication and interpersonal skills are imperative.
- A strong commitment to public service.
- Warm and calm demeanor.
This position is open to candidates with up to 2 (two) years of experience. This position will require working at least three evening shifts (to 8PM) per week (details to be determined with the successful candidate). Make sure to indicate in your cover letter that you can fulfill these two conditions.
To apply, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: October 23, 11:59 PM.