Date posted: Dec 24, 2019
The Library reflects the focus of the University: we have a small print collection and a sizeable – and growing – electronic collection, with a particular focus on resources relevant for contemporary business. This is a newly created position, and the successful candidate will be joining a team of librarians that provide a full range of services to the UCW community.
The Library Assistant is a key member of the Library team, and will act as a first point of contact for student inquiries – generally related to Circulation and simple Reference transactions. Additional duties may include Cataloguing, Reserves management, updating web pages and others (according to the Library’s needs and successful candidate’s interests).
In addition, the library assistant will play an essential role in ensuring that the operations in the library are running smoothly:
- Collaborates with the other librarians to enhance the library’s services.
- Helps to circulate and manage the library’s print collection, including course reserve materials and library’s equipment.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
There are two primary duties for the library assistant:
- Front line support: answer inquiries from library users (students, faculty and staff), in a timely and friendly manner. These inquiries are mostly ready-reference questions, but for most of the students this is the first point of contact with a Canadian academic library, therefore handling these interactions with utmost professionalism is paramount. The library assistant also provides circulation services and helps managing the Library’s print collection, including course reserve materials and library equipment.
- Special projects: under the supervision of one of the librarians, works to enhance the collections and support service enhancement projects in the library. Depending on the interest from the successful candidate, there will be opportunities to grow and develop in additional areas (Cataloguing, Reserves management, updating web pages and others).
- Diploma from a 2-year Library Technician program is required; academic library experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Library policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with an Integrated Library System.
- Ability to see multiple tasks through completion with minimal supervision.
- Past experience working with international students.
- Outstanding oral/written communication and interpersonal skills are imperative.
- A strong commitment to public service.
- Warm and calm demeanor.
This position is open to candidates with up to 2 (two) years of experience. This position will require the successful candidate to work occasional evening shifts (to 9pm) and weekends (details to be determined with the successful candidate). Make sure to indicate in your cover letter that you can fulfill these two conditions. The annual salary range will be between $40k-$45k.
To apply, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
University Canada West
100 – 626 W. Pender Street
Vancouver, BC, V6B 1V9