The Admission Committee may require proof of English language proficiency from applicants who attended English language-based education systems
English is the language of instruction at University Canada West. If your first language is not English, you must submit one of the following*:
- Required score on a recognized English proficiency test (eg. IELTS 6.5 with a minimum 6.0 on the Writing band for entry to the BA and BCom programs),
- Successful completion of a minimum of 30 credits of post-secondary education from a recognized institution where English is the language of instruction and where the school is located in a country where English is an official language.
- Successful completion of University Canada West’s University Access Program (English preparation courses),
- Successful completion of other recognized English preparation courses where students have demonstrated English proficiency equivalent to an IELTS score of 6.5 or better,
- Successful completion of BC English 12 or English 12 First Peoples (or equivalent) with a final grade of 65% (C) or better (including the provincial exam if applicable) ) taken in Canada as part of a high school graduation program,
- Completion of International Baccalaureate English A1/A2 or English Literature and Performance,
- Successful completion of a 3 credit academic English course with a minimum C grade from a Canadian post-secondary institution. The credits must be eligible to be transferred to University Canada West as transfer credits,
- Graduation from a secondary school attended for three (3) or more consecutive years of full time education where English was the language of instruction and where the school is located in a country where English is an official language,
- Graduation from a recognized secondary school attended for four (4) or more consecutive years of full time education where English was the language of instruction but operates in a country where English is not a primary language.
The Admission Committee may require proof of English language proficiency from applicants who attended English language-based education systems if the Committee sees deficiencies in language proficiency when the application package is reviewed.
English language test scores are valid for admission purposes for a maximum of 2 years from the date of the test.
Recognized English Language Schools
If you have successfully completed Academic English preparation courses from a UCW recognized English language school, it may fulfill UCW’s English Language Proficiency requirement for admission to our programs. You will be required to present a completion certificate from the English language school demonstrating successful achievement of the required level of study. The UCW Registrar's office may contact the school to verify your results.
- EC Canada - General English B2 level with a minimum 80% and successful completion of the Academic Techniques in Practice course
- ELS Language Centers - ELS’ Masters Level 112 program with a minimum CGPA of 2.0 (79-82%).
- Global Village - Global Village (GV) English level 7 with a minimum 80% and successful completion of the EAP Program
- ICEAP -
- For admission to the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Commerce: Bridge Course Level 8 with a minimum 70% average and no individual skill/core mark less than 65%.
- For admission to the Masters of Business Administration or MBA Foundation courses: Pre-MBA course with a minimum 70% average
- inlingua – University Preparation Course with a minimum 80% over 3 terms
- ILAC - University Pathway III, level 3.2 at a minimum 75% on course work and an iBT 90 on final test
- ILSC - University Pathway Program A2 with a minimum 70%
- St George International College (SGIC) Toronto only - University and College Pathway Program with a minimum 80% final exit test
- Western Town College - University Pathway Program (4 modules) with a minimum 75%
- Kaplan - University Foundation Course or Advanced (C1) General English with a minimum of 70% on the exit test and the EAP half day class