The Admission Committee may require proof of English language proficiency from applicants who attended English language-based education systems
English is the language of instruction at University Canada West. If your first language is not English, you must submit one of the following*:
- Required score on a recognized English proficiency test (eg. IELTS 6.5 with a minimum 6.0 on the Writing band for entry to the BA and BCom programs)
- Successful completion of BC English 12 (or equivalent from a Canadian secondary school) with a final grade of 65% (C) or better (including the provincial exam if applicable)
- Official proof of a degree awarded by a recognized university where English is the language of instruction and where the university is located in a country where English is the official language
- Successful completion of a minimum of 30 credits of post-secondary education at an institution where English is the language of instruction and where the school is located in a country where English is the official language.
- Successful completion of University Canada West’s University Access Program (English preparation courses).
- Successful completion of other recognized English preparation courses where students have demonstrated an equivalent to 6.5 IELTS score or better.
- Successful completion of a minimum of 3 credits of English from a Canadian post-secondary institution. The credits must be eligible to be transferred to University Canada West as transfer credits.
The Admission Committee may require proof of English language proficiency from applicants who attended English language-based education systems if the Committee sees deficiencies in language proficiency when the application package is reviewed.
English language test scores are valid for admission purposes for a maximum of 2 years from the date of the test.
Recognized English Language Schools
If you have successfully completed Academic English preparation courses from a UCW recognized English language school, it may fulfill UCW’s English Language Proficiency requirement for admission to our programs. You will be required to present a completion certificate from the English language school demonstrating successful achievement of the required level of study. The UCW Registrar's office may contact the school to verify your results.
- EC Canada - General English B2 level with a minimum 80% and successful completion of the Academic Techniques in Practice course
- Global Village - Global Village (GV) English level 7 with a minimum 80% and successful completion of the EAP Program
- ICEAP -
- For admission to the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Commerce: Bridge Course Level 8 with a minimum 70% average and no individual skill/core mark less than 65%.
- For admission to the Masters of Business Administration or MBA Foundation courses: Pre-MBA course with a minimum 70% average
- inlingua – University Preparation Course with a minimum 80% over 3 terms
- ILAC - University Pathway III, level 3.2 at a minimum 75% on course work and an iBT 90 on final test
- ILSC - University Pathway Program A2 with a minimum 70%
- St George International College (SGIC) Toronto only - University and College Pathway Program with a minimum 80% final exit test
- Western Town College - University Pathway Program (4 modules) with a minimum 75%
- Kaplan - University Foundation Course or Advanced (C1) General English with a minimum of 70% on the exit test and the EAP half day class